Saturday, February 21, 2015

After speaking to a representative from the Pima Health Department, I've acquired essential information for creating a sexual health website targeted towards young adults. Namely, that healthy sex doesn't just involve wrapping everything in latex and remembering your daily / monthly / annual dose of hormones - healthy sex means responsibility and self-care as well as respecting the choices of one's partner. Furthermore, communication is key - if you can't talk to your partner about sex, then you're probably not prepared for it. I've already been referred to some great online resources for contraceptives and sex ed: stayteen.org, bedsider.org and the Planned Parenthood website all provide comprehensive information on sexual health. I'm eager to take their website model and make it specifically tailored to the Pima County area.

Furthermore, one surprising detail I have discovered is that for young adults, contraception should be completely affordable - if you know where to look. There are myriad resources around Tucson that provide free sexual health services such as STI testing, pregnancy testing, and condoms (honestly, the fact that people still pay money for latex condoms shocks me). Certain clinics around Tucson also operate on Title X funding, meaning that they can provide you discounted services based on a sliding income scale. For low-income teens, this means access to incredibly cheap, confidential and professional services.

As for the website, I'm beginning the preliminary stages of planning: a site-map and wire frame just to get started. I've fleshed out my intentions for the website and my target demographic with a creative brief.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your final product, Hannah! I like the fact that you designed your SRP around seeing a need and fulfilling it. I actually have a question about why you said that you were surprised people still buy latex condoms; why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyrie! Thanks for your support! I'm very excited to design and implement this website.

      As for your question, there are a ton of places around Tucson that provide free latex condoms: SAAF, the Pima Health Department, and Planned Parenthood just to name a few. (Plus, SAAF has also free samples of female / internal condoms!) Instead of spending money on a pack of condoms, I'd recommend stocking up at one of these organizations. If you're looking for different types of condoms (e.g. non-latex, novelty), you may have to buy them at a store or online.

      Delete